Last week we took our second big trip in Thailand to Chiang Mai, a wonderful city in the north. I have been so excited to go to Chiang Mai and waiting to go since we moved here 10 months ago! I've only ever heard good things about it and how beautiful the area is. The city is surrounded by mountains and jungle and is full of many exciting things to do and see! We did a lot in our 5 days and we have a lot of pictures so I put together a slide show (and also added a few of my favorites in the blog)... enjoy!
*If you have a slow internet connection like we do, hit pause while the slideshow is playing and then let it finish loading before you watch it all the way through.
Our hotel was called Yaang Come Village and I think it's probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in! It was decorated in a traditional Thai style called Lanna and was really unique and artistic looking and helped make our busy vacation relaxing too!
On our first day we decided to do a half day tour to one of the hill tribe villages and to the most famous Wat (temple) in Chiang Mai called Wat Doi Suthep. There are many different tribes living in Thailand some more set up for tourists then others. I know you've all seen pictures of tribal women with the really long necks (if not, I scanned the postcard above so you can see them), they are part of the Karen Tribe here in Thailand. We didn't go to their village but maybe on another trip...although I feel bad for these women because it's a tradition they stopped in the past but brought back when they realized tourists would cough up the cash to see them. The village we did visit was small with a beautiful flower garden...oh and opium and marijuana, lol. The villagers in the past didn't know how to grow anything else that would make them any money and so the current King stopped them from growing these crops and taught them how to grow vegetables and flowers instead...but they still have a few plants of each for demonstration. Well, that's what they say anyway! There were a bunch of cute little kids running around the gardens cracking us up because they made up a song in English to sing to tourists coming to the village. It goes something like, "1 Baht, 2 Baht, 3 Baht if you want to take a picture with me..." with a very thick accent so it sounds really funny. :)
After our tour we went back to our hotel to cool off from the heat and go swimming and then we walked down the street to the Night Bazaar. Thailand is crazy about bazaars and shopping. Many of the items they sold were the same cheap stuff or knock offs you can get anywhere in Thailand but they did have a few more unique items and it was neat to see something different. They also had a lot of art and antiques which were fun to look at.
The second day of our trip we decided to do a full day tour. Chiang Mai is also famous for it's elephants so you can imagine why I really wanted to go there!! :) In the morning we went to an Elephant camp where we saw an elephant show. They do tricks and do a demonstration to show how in the old days the elephants were used in forestry. Then they do something really amazing...elephants can paint!! Yes, real pictures! I heard they could do this and had seen videos of it before, but it was really cool to see it in person! After the show everyone fed the elephants bananas and sugar cane and took pictures with them. I always wondered if an elephant could pick me up with it's trunk, and I got to find out! I thought I was just standing next to the elephant for a picture, but then all the sudden I was in the air!
After the show, we took an ox cart ride through the hillside to another village (really it was people selling souvenirs again or as Chris calls it "the guantlet of cheap crap") and then took an elephant ride through the jungle. The jungle was so green and beautiful and everyone on our tour was laughing at our mahout (elephant trainer) because he was really hysterical and talked to us the whole time... I guess it helps that we can speak Thai decently now. We even sang "The Chaang Song" with him, which is a children's song about elephants that our Thai teacher Joy taught us. After the elephant ride we had lunch and then took bamboo rafts down the river. The Thai tour guide kept calling them bamboo submarines because he said they end up under water since westerners are so fat, lol. Funny, but true. :) Luckily, we didn't sink... although our captain fell in the water when he was trying to dock it. We also met some nice people from Oman (a country near the United Arab Emirates) who were on their honeymoon. They were really interesting to talk to and made our raft ride really fun. Plus, the girl, Sofia had really cool henna all over her arms which was neat to look at! :)For the end of the tour they took us to an orchid farm, where they also had a monkey show, snake show, and a water buffalo/rice demonstration. We decided to see the monkeys, which was a cute show and and I got to be part of the act. They tied me up and the monkey had to rescue me, lol. :) He then sat on my lap for a picture, but I wasn't allowed to touch him in case I startled him...he might decide to rip my ears off or something, yikes!
The third day of our trip was the day I have been waiting months for and probably one of the coolest days of my life. We traveled to a city one hour outside of Chiang Mai called Lampang and visited the Thai Elephant Conservation Center. They have a mahout training course and Chris and I did the one day program. You can do one to thirty day courses (if you do 30 you are a professional and should buy your own elephant and move to the center). We got there early in the morning, started the day by changing into our mahout suits (being a mahout is dirty business) and then learned about elephants in general and the difference between Asian and African elephants. Elephants can understand hundreds of words, but we just learned about 10 of the most important ones, or at least the ones we would be using that day. Then we got to meet our elephants! My elephant's name was Tantawan, which means Sunflower. She was 49 years old, really sweet but a little stubborn...she didn't mind people hugging her trunk which was fun, but some elephants don't like that, they feel restricted and will push you away...well, more like fling you away. Her real mahout's name was Pun and he was really nice and patient with me... he kept trying to get me to sing her songs. :) Chris' elephant's name was Jan Daeng, which means Red Moon. She was 37 years old and also really sweet. She wasn't quite as big as Tantawan, but we did have 12 years on her! Jan Daeng's mahout's name was Tien, easy for us to remember! :) He and Chris had a good time together I think, I could hear them laughing all day.
After the morning training session we rode our elephants to meet the babies and the sick elephants in the hospital! They had two babies right now, both one year old males. One was born from artificial insemination! They were so adorable and funny... One year old elephants are just slightly smaller than a VW Bug and full of spunk. We fed them some bananas and they kept trying to play games with us... they liked to hit your arms with their trunks.
Chris recovered from his barfisode and we went back to meet Tantawan and Jan Daeng and took them for their baths! We rode them into a pond told them to lay down and then scrubbed them up with the cold water! We then rode through a river and the jungle back to their camp where we received our mahout certificates, fed them again and said our goodbyes! It was a great day.
The last day of our trip we decided to take a Thai cooking class. There were six people in our class that day, me, Chris, two girls from Canada and two girls from Austria. The teacher took us to a morning market where we learned about Thai vegetables, meats and noodles and bought all of our supplies for the food we were cooking that day. We each made seven dishes (all the really good ones too), so when we move home be prepared to try some Pad Thai, Tom Yum and mango with sticky rice, "aroi (delicious)!" I think we probably each ate 3000 calories that day, but it was fun and we were on vacation!!The teacher took a lot of pictures of our class to put on their website! I'm not sure if they are up yet, but you can check them out if you are interested at www.chiangmaismartcook.com/ our class date was October 26th.
3 comments:
WOW!!! What an awesome trip. You two get to do all the fun stuff.
Love, Aunt Sandy
Great blog...it's almost like we were there with you!
Mom S. :)
Loved you blog, sounds like you two had a fantastic time. Now you will have to have land in the mountains for Aspen and your two elephants.
Post a Comment