Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tension in Thailand

Today the Thai Prime Minister (Samak Sundaravej) declared a state of emergency in Bangkok! We aren't having any trouble in Korat, but there are lots of protests going on daily in Bangkok. This has been going on since May (I think), but is just escalating into violence now.

Above is a group of PAD demonstrators beating a pro-government demonstrator with sticks. No we did not take this picture...it is courtesy of CNN.


From what I understand the PAD (People's Alliance for Democracy) is the anti-government group that wants to oust the PM and everybody else in the government. Not sure why, since they were all elected only 5 months ago, but the PAD is screaming corruption. They think that the "Rural Majority" of Thailand have too much influence in the voting, and that poor people are easier to manipulate with money. I also heard that the pro-government protesters are only there because they are being paid to be there. But of course I heard this from a PAD guy, so not sure how true that is. I don't really know what to believe because nobody at work wants to talk about it. Some people at work are pro-government, and some anti-government so I am careful not to say anything stupid. :-)

Right now the PAD has closed down some railroads and is threatening to turn off water and electricity to government buildings.

The US Embassy in Bangkok is sending us updates on everything via email, but right now we are not in any kind of danger. All the protests are in Bangkok, and not really in the tourist areas that we go to all the time.

2 comments:

zoe'smom said...

Thinking of you and hoping this is resolved quickly! What a crazy world...

Debbie said...

Stay safe. Thanks for the update. Maybe you could get evacuated to Denver like Devin was.