Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Royal Anniversary

This weekend I felt like a celebrity in Bangkok. 3 sightings of the Royal Family in 3 days...a new record for me. Lea Ann even got to see 2 of them.

Sighting 1: On my way into Bangkok on Friday after work, Supot and I were lucky enough to get behind some member of the Royal family in their armored convoy (about 10 police cars and a black van with black windows). I couldn't tell who it was, but we followed them into town and they broke up the traffic quite nicely :-).

Sighting 2: For our anniversary this year Lea Ann and I went out for a nice little dinner on Saturday. We went to "Antonio's," which is a pretty darn expensive Italian joint in Bangkok. It was really good though...and we really miss Italian food. Badly. Anyways when we were leaving, some members of the Royal Family were showing up at the door, and the owner of the restaurant had to turn them away because he did not have enough open tables. He is lucky he didn't get shot, with all the armed security guards around.

Sighting 3: On Sunday we went to "Villa Market" where we buy the hard-to-find imported groceries before heading back to Korat. Same old same old with the convoy and the security. Supot said we are very lucky to see them so many times :-).

We only really noticed the security guards each time (how could you miss a man holding a machine gun?), so we didn't recognize the VIPs. But we sure did feel special! Or maybe threatened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog you have! I found it while searching for bloggers with similar interests. My husband and I are both teachers in San Diego (though I'm taking time off to raise the kids) and are considering teaching abroad for a year. I am very inspired by your adventures! Keep up the good work! - Patti Schoffstall