Monday, February 11, 2008

Boat Tour of Nonthaburi

Friday we took a trip to Bangkok to go sightseeing with Angela. We decided to go to Nonthaburi which is a small island in the middle of the Chao Praya River. We took a river taxi around the island and stopped at a few different shops selling pottery and Thai candy.


This is a photo of a woman making candy out of egg yokes. She is pouring the egg yoke into a vat of hot syrup. They can make many different kinds of candy this way, and they all taste about as good as they sound. ; -)



It was a very interesting boat ride. The boat reminded me of a 70's hippie van and the sights along the river where something else too. We saw houses with sprinkler systems on the roofs (an alternative to airconditioning), people fishing in the river from their back yard, kids swimming, a man brushing his teeth, and another man taking a bath! I don't know what kind of river you are picturing, but the Chao Praya is not clean. I know I wouldn't want to fall in, let alone take a bath in it! I guess when you are used to it and don't have a choice, it doesn't really matter.
After the boat trip Angela took us to a really neat Thai restaurant called Suam Thep. It was gorgeous! Most of the restaurant area is outside in a beautiful garden. We sat on cushions in our own private hut surrounded by trees and flowers! She said many people have weddings there and I can see why. The food was great and very inexpensive and it felt like being in a fairy tale (except it was hot and there were bugs). :-)

No comments: